What is assurance of support (AoS) – Parent Visa
You need to apply for an assurance of support for your parent visa.
What is the assurance of support (AoS)
You must be able to obtain an assurance of support for some parent visas.
An assurance of support assures that you will not have to rely on government assistance after you enter Australia on the parent visa.
You need to provide the assurance of support (AoS) if you are applying for one of these visas:
- 103 – Parent
- 143 – Contributory Parent
- 173 – Contributory Parent (Temporary)
- 804 – Aged Parent
- 864 – Contributory Aged Parent
- 884 – Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary)
The department will let you know when you need to provide the assurance of support. It is not at the time of application.
You must be able to obtain an assurance of support when required.
Assurer and assuree
If you give an assurance of support you’re the assurer.
The assuree is the visa applicant you support. It can be a family of up to 2 adults and their dependent children.
An assurer must be an Australian resident. Usually, it’s a family member or the applicant’s child.
Who needs an assurance of support
After applying for a parent visa, the Department of Home Affairs will inform you to provide an assurance of support
How you become an assurer – Bank guarantee
As an assurer, you may need to give a bank guarantee through the Commonwealth Bank.
This is to make sure you can pay back if your assuree needs a payment from the government.
You need to apply, after the requirement to provide an assurance of support.
Bank guarantee – Amounts
If you give a bank guarantee you should be ready to put money in the bank to cover its value.
How much the guarantee is for depends on if:
- an assurer is a person
- there are 1 or 2 adult assures
- the assurance of support is for 2 years, 4 years, or 10 years.
Assurance of support amounts
For 2 and 4 years – Parent Visa TR
- $5,000 for 1 adult
- $7,000 for 2 adults
For 10 years – Parent Visa PR
- $10,000 for 1 adult
- $14,000 for 2 adults.
Bank guarantee release and how to cancel
Once you give an assurance of support, you can’t cancel it. It may cancel the agreement if your assuree dies.
You can ask to release your bank guarantee when the Assurance of Support period ends.
How to ask us to release your bank guarantee
- Fill in the Assurance of Support Bank Guarantee Release form.
- Submit it to online, by post or at a service centre.
How to Start an assurance of support application
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payment and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Assurance of Support. Read about your obligations. If you understand and accept them, tick the box then select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. Each screen has information to help you complete the application. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your application.
Find the latest News&Blogs