Private tutors and teachers nec Vetassess Skills Assessment
What is the requirement of a Private tutors and teachers nec Vetassess Skills Assessment?
What’s the skills assessment – Job Description
Private tutors and teachers nec teach students in the practice, theory and performance of various subjects in private training establishments. This occupation group covers Private Tutors and Teachers not elsewhere classified.
NEC – Not Elsewhere Classified
Some occupations assessed by VETASSESS are listed as ‘nec’ which means ‘not elsewhere classified’. If nominating one of these occupations, you must ensure that your qualifications and employment are highly relevant to one of the occupation titles given in the ANZSCO description for the particular occupation. Other specific occupation titles which cannot be found elsewhere in ANZSCO will be considered on a case by case basis so long as they are relevant to the ‘nec’ codes.
Your employment in these nominated occupations should not better match another ANZSCO code (whether assessed by VETASSESS or not). When considering whether to nominate a ‘nec’ occupation, you should consider the sub-major group description and determine whether your skills best fit this category.
Specialisations which would be considered
under this ANZSCO code:
- Language Tutor (Private Tuition)
- Maths Tutor (Private Tuition)
- Dressmaking Teacher (Private Tuition)
- Handicrafts Teacher (Private Tuition)
- Any other subject-specific form of tuition which is not already elsewhere classified on ANZSCO.
Occupations not considered
under this ANZSCO code:
- Art Teacher (Private Tuition)
- Dance Teacher (Private Tuition)
- Drama Teacher (Private Tuition)
- Music Teacher (Private Tuition)
- University Tutor
What’re the Requirements for Skills Assessment
This occupation requires
a qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree or higher degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.
In addition to this, applicants must have undertaken at least one year of post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level in the last five years which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation.
If employment is not post-qualification, then five additional years of highly relevant employment are required.
If the degree is not in a highly relevant field, three years of employment at an appropriate skill level completed in the last five years in a field which is highly relevant to the nominated occupation is required. This is reduced to two years if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Diploma level in a highly relevant field.
If employment is not post-qualification, then five additional years of relevant employment are required. This is in addition to one year of highly relevant employment within the past five years.
A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.
What’s the requirement for Qualification
AQF Bachelor degree or higher degree
Highly relevant major fields of study include:
- relevant teaching/subject area to subsequent tutoring experience
- education studies
What’s the requirement for Employment
Highly relevant tasks include, but are not limited to:
- planning programs of study for individual students and groups
- preparing and presenting material on the theory of the subject area
- instructing and demonstrating practical aspects of the subject area
- assigning problems and exercises relative to students’ training needs and talents
- assessing students and offering advice, criticism and encouragement
- revising curricula, course content, course materials and methods of instruction
- preparing students for examinations, performance and assessments
- keeping abreast of developments in the subject area by attending professional conferences, seminars and courses, reading current literature and talking with colleagues
Private Tutors and Teachers nec cover tutors who work in areas supplemental to formal school education
and may work in the following businesses/organisations:
- Coaching colleges
- Tutoring centres or businesses
- In-home tuition (sole trader)
The ANZSCO requirements for the Unit Group 2492 Private Tutors and Teachers relate to an applicant’s employment with a private education provider, providing training in specific areas of education or training.
Therefore, assessment criteria for Private Tutors and Teachers nec require that an applicant must be employed within a private tuition institution and/or be teaching a course of study that is not primarily taught within a prescribed curriculum in schools.
The occupations of Minor Group 241 School Teachers, who educate students in settings ranging from pre-primary to secondary and special institutions, are already elsewhere classified in ANZSCO.
Applicants whose teaching content is part of the official curriculum (unless it is supplementary tutoring) are excluded from the Private Tutors and Teachers occupations, whether they are generalist or specialist teachers, as both are covered by Minor Group 241 School Teachers.