Civil Engineering Technician Vetassess Skills Assessment
What is the requirement of a Civil Engineering Technician Vetassess Skills Assessment?
What’s the skills assessment – Job Description
Civil Engineering Technicians conduct tests of construction materials, prepares sketches and tabulations, and assists in estimating costs in support of Civil Engineering Professionals and Engineering Technologists.
- Civil Engineering Assistant
- Civil Laboratory Technician
- Geotechnical Laboratory Technician
- Transportation Engineering Technician (not covered by the ANZSCO)
Occupations not considered
under this ANZSCO code:
- Architectural Draftsperson
- Building Associate
- Building Inspector
- Civil Engineering Draftspersons
- Civil Engineer
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer Technician
What’re the Requirements for Skills Assessment
This occupation requires
A qualification assessed as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or higher, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation.
If the qualification is in a highly relevant field to the occupation, then at least one year of highly relevant post-qualification employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years is required.
If the qualification is not in a highly relevant field, two years of highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level, completed in the last five years is required.
This is reduced to one year if there is an additional qualification at least at AQF Certificate IV level in a highly relevant field.
If employment is pre-qualification, then three additional years of highly relevant employment are required. This is in addition to one year of highly relevant employment within the past five years.
A positive assessment of both qualifications and employment is required for a positive Skills Assessment Outcome.
What’s the requirement for Qualification
AQF Diploma or higher
Highly relevant major fields of study include:
- Civil Engineering
- Engineering Drafting – Civil Design
Qualifications in certain engineering fields may be accepted on a case by case basis if the program consists of compulsory subjects in mathematics and physical sciences, and has sufficient competencies in Structure, Materials Testing, etc
Employment Highly relevant tasks may include
but are not limited to:
- collecting and analysing data, and carrying out computations
- estimating material costs and ensuring finished works are within specifications, regulations and contract provisions
- inspecting civil engineering works, and organising and supervising maintenance and repair work
- conducting field and laboratory tests of construction materials and soils, and collecting data for traffic surveys
- testing and evaluating construction materials
- outlining work programs and reviewing these for accuracy, adequacy and feasibility
- setting up technical instruments used to collect data (geotechnical)
- drilling and taking soil samples and collecting rock samples (geotechnical)
- reviewing aerial photographs (geotechnical)
- taking measurements, making calculations and writing detailed notes (geotechnical)
In order to be considered as a Civil Engineering Technician, the position must be
- supporting Civil Engineering Professionals and Engineering Technologists in construction materials testing,
- preparation of sketches and tabulations,
- as well as planning, designing and overseeing the construction
- and maintenance of buildings, roads and other infrastructure civil engineering projects.
They may assist with estimating costs, preparing timetables and planning the specifications for materials needed for projects.
Categories of acceptable employment contexts include (but not limited to):
- Engineering consultancy firm (specialised in structural / civil services / transport / environmental / waste management)
- Construction company
- Building and Construction materials manufacturer
- Geotechnical engineering firm
- Geotechnical laboratory
- Government authority within a relevant department
- Utility authority within a relevant department